AYURVEDIC HEALTH TIPS FOR WINTER
Winter is a season when the body craves for more food. People tend to eat repeatedly at irregular intervals. Moreover, physical activity is reduced to a minimum . A combination of excessive food intake and less physical activity is the root cause to a series of health alterations.During winter, people experience problems like, creaky joints, body pains, lethargy , numbness, cough, flu, dryness amongst many other health problems.
As per Ayurveda , the regimen to be followed during winter in order to maintain good health:
Eating nuts and dry fruits (in limited quantities )like Sesame seeds, Almonds, Cashews, Pistachio, Walnut, Hazel nuts, Dates, Apricots, Prunes, Raisins will provide necessary vitamins, natural oils and provide required nutrients to keep the body warm.
• Use spices like Black pepper, Garlic, Onion, Cumin, Coriander, Ginger, Asafetida ,Mustard seeds to help in the digestion and elimination of abdominal gases.
• Vegetables like drum sticks , spinach, amaranth , bitter gourd, green banana , fenugreek leaves ( Methi), Mint leaves provides the necessary fiber and nutrition and at the same time are easily digestable.
• Sprouts have a lot of fiber and proteins in them. Their consumption will help provide enough energy without feeling heavy.
• A glass of fresh warm milk (preferably organic fresh milk) with a pinch of turmeric, dried ginger and black pepper will boost the immunity.
• Freshly prepared warm food will enhance circulation and increase enzyme activity.
• Fruits rich in Vitamin C like Gooseberry ( Amla), Orange, Lemon, Tangerine help flush out the toxins from the body.
• Living habits:
• Regular body massage with fresh cold pressed sesame oil to improve circulation
• Regular gargling with warm salt water or warm decoction of Triphala with salt will prevent throat infections.
• At least 60 minutes of physical exercise is recommended to maintain circulation and keep active.
• Apply oil on the feet and hands and dip in warm salt water for 10 minutes to improve circulation and reduce numbness.